Friday, March 22, 2013

Simple Pleasures

Today has been a good day. I spent most of the morning behind a steering wheel with my favorite music just blasting away. This is one of my favorite ways to spend alone time, just driving and listening. It relaxes me and lets my mind wander where I sometimes don't allow it to go. Yeah, that's a scary trip, right...  ;)

As I drive here, there and yonder, my mind wanders to a recent conversation I had with my son, Army man. He moved out of our house roughly a year ago. He has worked his ass off to stand on his own two feet. While we may send some left-over Sunday dinner home with him, he hasn't asked us for anything. Shortly after he moved out, he realized very quickly how many things he took for granted living with us. Internet access...cable TV...food just appearing in the fridge, etc. I felt bad for him, going w/out these luxuries at first. I was all set to go get his cable turned on, the 'net going for him and to fill his fridge with food. Hubby said "no...if he needs something, he will ask. Let him be, he has to learn and he WILL learn if YOU just let him." I was kinda upset about that...ok, I was full blown pissed off at the time. But low and behold, Hubby was absolutely right. Army man called me this week, sounding like a little kid on Christmas morning. He had finally got up on his feet enough to afford Dish Network on his own! He was no longer forced to watch the same DVD's time and time again. Is it silly that something like this makes me swell up with pride? Well, if it does, then I am silly. Army man learned a lot this past year, but I think he should know this: I learned more than he did and that Hubby and I are pretty damn proud of him, even when there is only room in his fridge for tuna because the shelves are stacked so full of beer.

While doing my errands, work called so a Wal-Mart stop was added to the list. I park the car and head in. As I cross the parking lot, an old classmate hollers at me and crosses over to shake my hand. Seeing this man makes me smile because he always has a huge grin and a kind word for others. When we were in school, he was sometimes picked on because of his challenges. This didn't happen much after people realized how many would stand in front of him to prevent this. When Keith approached us in Wal-Mart when my boys were still very young, they would ask "who was that and how does he know you?". We would explain how we knew Keith and what his challenges were growing up. Nowadays when my Little Guy goes with me to the store, he will always take a moment to speak with Keith and ask him how his beloved Bears are doing. Yup, sometimes I think I may be doing this whole Mom thing OK after all! Keith and I spend some time catching up and off he goes to do his work. I go about my shopping with a smile staying (mostly) on my face. Keith will just do that for you. Next time you are in Olney Wal-Mart and see a cart pusher wearing his Bear's coat, take a moment and say "Hi!" you won't regret it for a single second!

When I headed toward home I decided to drop by and see a wonderful baby girl who is celebrating her 6 month birthday today. I smile every time I think about her being able to be home, with her mommy, daddy, and all the family and friends that love them all.  I knock on the door and wait, glancing around at the home these two young parents have made for themselves and again, I am forced to smile. You see, the daddy of this baby girl holds a special place in my heart and always will. Therefore, by extension, his wife and daughter are also in that spot with him. After waiting a few minutes I realize that they must be off celebrating the half birthday or whatever else may be on a busy young mom's schedule. I leave and head home still smiling and saying a word of thanks to the man upstairs for making sure this wonderful girl is home with her family, where she belongs.

So, I guess my theme for today is this: Stop, look around you, realize that what you have is special, no matter if it is cable TV and Beer, a kind word and a big smile, or that you can go home and hold your children close and give them a hug. These are the things that are important...the things you really CAN'T put a price tag on. Happy Friday Folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment